Tuesday, June 7, 2011

TOMORROW ON E STREET RADIO: THE BEST SPRINGSTEEN COVERS

Tomorrow at 4 pm ET on SiriusXM E Street Radio, I will be part of a panel discussion about the best cover versions of Bruce Springsteen songs. E Street Radio's Jim Rotolo is hosting, and the other panelists include Ben Lazar (also often heard on E Street Radio), Nick Masi from Brooklyn Vegan (he also hosts Sirius XMU's Blog Radio one day a week) and singer/songwriter Jesse Malin. The event is to promote "Cover Me," a weekly show of Springsteen covers that Nick is going to host on E Street Radio. It was a lot of fun to be on this panel, I hope you can tune in.

In honor of that, here are some of my favorite Bruce covers, in no order:


  • Bettye Lavette's "Streets Of Philadelphia" (which I was turned onto by Nick Masi)
  • Rage Against The Machine's "The Ghost Of Tom Joad" 
  • Chris Cornell's "State Trooper" and "Atlantic City" from the concert I attended a few weeks ago
  • Johnny Cash's "Johnny 99," "I'm On Fire" and "Further On Up The Road" 
  • Eddie Vedder's "My City Of Ruins" 
  • Steve Earle's "Nebraska"
There are probably many more, but those are the first ones that come to mind.  What are your favorites? And by the way, if you don't have SiriusXM, what are you waiting for? Sign up for a free online trial here and tune in tomorrow. 

1 comment:

semicolondave said...

For me, anything Johnny Cash is solid. Rage Against the Machine was pretty good as well.