Monday, March 21, 2011

RANDY RHOADS - THE ARGUMENT

Inspired by the news that Ozzy Osbourne's first two solo albums are going to finally be reissued in remastered, and original form, I've been thinking about Randy Rhoads. (Here's my post on those albums.) A friend of mine (Noa from the blog Metal Injection) asked me why Randy isn't in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I think he should be.

But, he can't be voted in as a regular artist, as he never released a record under his own name. They used to have a "sideman" category, which they replaced this year, with the Award for Recording Excellence, which went to the very deserving Leon Russell. I think Randy Rhoads should get it next year.

Whatever you think of heavy metal, the guy was one of the most influential guitarists of the '80s, along with Eddie Van Halen. Did he inspire a lot of pointy guitar fretboard tapping speed demon guitarists who forgot about the song in the quest for flash? Sure. But he also played on two of the greatest metal albums ever, 1980's Blizzard of Ozz and 1981's Diary of a Madman. I actually think that Ozzy deserves to be inducted for his solo career based on those albums - but I don't mind if that doesn't happen, Oz is already a Hall of Famer as a member of Black Sabbath.  I just think Randy deserves his due for his incredible playing on these albums, and the influence he's had.

3 comments:

jimmie said...

Absolutely, Randy Rhoads needs to be in the hall of fame. His guitar work on Blizzard Of Ozz and Diary Of A Madman was some of the best guitar playing ever recorded. Ozzy should also be inducted again for his amazing solo career.The case for this can be made by sighting the three times that Eric Clapton has been inducted.With the Yardbirds,Cream,and his solo career.

B. Ives said...

Hey, Jimmie, thanks for reading and contributing to my blog. I do think Ozzy deserves to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame based on his solo career... but once is enough, so I don't care if he is inducted or not. I just want to see Randy get in.
As for Clapton, I would argue that three times is too many - I would have never voted for his solo career. (I'd also argue that either Derek & The Dominoes or Blind Faith are more deserving than Clapton's mostly boring solo career - even though both bands just did one album, those albums were classics!)

Eagle Rock Entertainment said...

Tickets for God Bless Ozzy Osbourne are available at participating theater box offices and online at www.FathomEvents.com. For a complete list of theater locations and prices, visit the NCM Fathom website (theaters and participants are subject to change).

“GOD BLESS OZZY OSBOURNE”
BRINGS THE STORY & MUSIC OF “THE PRINCE OF
DARKNESS” TO THE BIG SCREEN

Presented by NCM Fathom, Omniverse Vision and Eagle Rock Entertainment, God Bless Ozzy Osbourne will be broadcast to nearly 400 select movie theaters across the country through NCM’s exclusive Digital Broadcast Network.

“This is the most honest portrait of my father. I set out to tell the truth - regardless of how raw it might be - and I think we accomplished just that,” said Jack Osbourne.