Sunday, March 13, 2011

DR. JOHN - A BEGINNER'S GUIDE

I'm glad that Dr. John is getting into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame tomorrow night. At the same time, I feel like I need to go deeper into his music.  That said, from doing some research, here's what I have figured are the points that you should begin with, if you're looking to just get into the man's music.

The compilation: the one that got me into Dr. John is the 1995 Rhino collection The Very Best of Dr. John.  It's one CD that covers a lot of his biggest hits, including "Right Place, Wrong Time" and "Iko Iko." It also has some lesser known gems like "I Walk On Gilded Splinters" and "What Comes Around, Goes Around."

The classic albums: His 1968 debut Gris-Gris, 1972's Gumbo and 1973's In The Right Place. I also really dig 1998's Anutha Zone, and I've also enjoyed songs from 2008's The City That Care Forgot and last year's Tribal.

The box set: there really is none, but the 1993 2 CD set Mos'Scocious is another great career spanning compilation.

1 comment:

Gagan Masoun said...

i like dr.jhon's sitting style.he is fantastic man. thank ful to your from Latest Punjabi Songs ..