Monday, August 23, 2010

MOJO'S 70 GREAT SOUL ALBUMS FROM THE '70S

I love lists, and British music magazine Mojo has some great ones.  In the recent issue (Robert Plant cover), they list 70 great soul albums from the '70s.  I confess that I haven't yet read it.  You see, I like to create a soundtrack for every Mojo list-type feature, and I just finished creating my iTunes playlist.  But I wanted to tell you about this issue while it's still available! A lot of the albums are in my collection - everyone should have Stevie Wonder's Innervisions, Marvin Gaye's What's Going On, Sly & The Family Stone's There's A Riot Goin' On and Funkadelic's Maggot Brain. But the list called my attention to artists I haven't listened to much (Donny Hathaway, Johnnie Taylor) and a few who I don't know anything about, or I never even heard of! (Like Shirley Brown, Honey Cone and Willie Hutch.) I love to learn about artists who time has sort of "forgotten," whether they are garage rock, country, blues or soul. So this countdown is a big gift! Thank you Mojo!

3 comments:

Fastnbulbous said...

That's definitely the best thing about these MOJO lists is that they uncover some neglected/lost classics and hopefully open peoples' eyes to albums beyond the same old Gaye/Wonder cannon. I started a thread about it here - http://www.ilxor.com/ILX/ThreadSelectedControllerServlet?boardid=41&threadid=82628&action=showall&bookmarkedmessageid=1884676. What's good about it is that nitpicking about placement (something I indulge in just a little) is minimal compared to loads of other great recommendations that MOJO left out. I spent the last four weeks tracking down, downloading, ordering, and trading in stuff at Dusty Groove to afford my latest soul binge. I'm just writing up the results now!

B. Ives said...

Fastnbulbous, thanks for reading my blog and commenting, I like your blog also. And I guess that's the fun thing about lists - arguing about what they left out! and going back and revisiting all that great music again!

Fastnbulbous said...

I finished it yesterday, and included a mix! Enjoy, and feel free to share any others you think should be added. http://www.fastnbulbous.com/70s_soul.htm