Wednesday, January 6, 2010

GREEN DAY'S "AMERICAN IDIOT" COMES TO BROADWAY


Green Day's official website has announced that the stage production of American Idiot begins its Broadway run soon. Previews start March 24 with the show officially opening on April 20. I am normally not a fan of rock and roll and Broadway mixing, and I usually don't think it works.  I remember going to see The Who's Tommy when it was on Broadway, and felt it was really watered down. I haven't gone to see any productions featuring Elton John's music, and I wasn't interested to see the John Lennon Broadway show. (To be fair, I don't like Broadway much anyway, so it's not like I'm going to shows without rock star involvement). And don't get me started on U2's Spider-Man disaster. But I have a feeling that this may be pretty good (although the new version of "21 Guns" by Green Day and the cast of Berkeley production of American Idiot is very... Broadway). So, even though I am not a Broadway person, I may be getting tickets for two shows: American Idiot and Fela.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Sounds like an interesting idea, anyone know any details, songs etc. Green Day has played a big role in shaping Indie and Rock music over the last decade. Check out the progression here http://bit.ly/7e2SfY some other really great bands are featured.