Monday, December 7, 2009

ROB THOMAS? I AIN'T MAD AT HIM

When I read the writings of some of the more angry-seeming rock critics, I often wonder what inspires their anger. I mean, I don't like a lot of artist - but I don't hate them. As I like to say, no musician has ever "kicked my dog."

matchbox twenty singer and solo superstar Rob Thomas definitely hasn't kicked anyone's dog (and in fact is a friend to dogs everywhere) but you wouldn't know it by reading the venom aimed at him. Urban Dictionary suggests that he be thrown in a meat grinder! Stereogum, meanwhile, points out that you can download Rob's cover of Smashing Pumpkins' "1979" at iTunes before adding "but we don't recommend it." You know who doesn't hate Rob? Carlos Santana! You may recall that Rob co-wrote and sung Carlos' huge comeback hit "Smooth" ten years ago. Yeah, I got tired of that song too, but it is a great song. Carlos recently joined Rob on stage for "Smooth," as well as covers of Bill Withers' "Ain't No Sunshine" and Jimi Hendrix's "Voodoo Chile." I would think that, no matter who was hating on you, if Carlos Santana joined you onstage, it would kind of counteract everything else. By the way, you can buy a wristband with a usb drive that has a live recording of the show here.

No comments: