Wednesday, November 4, 2009

SPRINGSTEEN'S NYC SERENADES

(image taken from Backstreets) This weekend when Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band perform a pair of shows at Madison Square Garden, they'll be taking on two more full albums. So far this tour, at different stops, they've played Born To Run, Darkness On The Edge Of Town and Born In The U.S.A. (I saw the U.S.A. show twice, on October 3 and October 9).

Today, Bruce's official website announced that on November 7, they'll play 1973's The Wild, The Innocent & The E Street Shuffle, and and on November 8 they'll play 1980's double album The River. I'm going Saturday, and am kind of figuring out how to get tickets for the sold out Sunday show.

It really does amaze me that, at the end of nearly three years of touring, Bruce and the band are learning so many new songs. I saw them at the end of The Rising tour in 2003 - they were playing songs for the first time on the very last night of the tour! Bruce doesn't do "cruise control." He's always resisted this kind of nostalgia, I wonder why he's going with it now. It kind of feels like a blow-out closing down sale, I hope that isn't what the deal is. The tour ends later this month in Buffalo. With all due respect to that fine city, I can't believe the last E Street Band concert ever would be in Buffalo. My personal theory is that the band are no longer going to go on these huge tours, but they may do long residencies in New Jersey and a few other cities.

In other Bruce news, The New York Post (I'm not linking to it) says that Bruce may get a $10 million dollar payday for his autobiography. But that newspaper isn't what I consider to be a good source of info on, really, anything. And especially not Bruce Springsteen. I could see Bruce doing something like Bob Dylan's Chronicles - his selected memoirs. I don't see him going into his divorce, or any alleged rifts between him and his wife. I felt Dylan's book was phenomonal, and I never really read rock star bios. He is such a great writer, I was satisified reading the stories that he felt comfortable telling. I don't really need to know about what happened with Jakob Dylan's mom or whatever.

No comments: