Wednesday, November 4, 2009

HOW BILL WARD SURVIVED THE MUSIC INDUSTRY

I don't know much about Clash Music magazine, but I love this feature on "suriviving the music industry." Last week, they talked to Tom Araya of Slayer about his experiences, and this week they talk to Bill Ward of Black Sabbath. For such an unconventional and badass drummer, he's such a sensitive guy, and it comes off in this piece.

I interviewed Bill Ward in 1997 when Black Sabbath went on their first "reunion" tour - without him. It was Ozzy Osbourne, Tony Iommi and Geezer Butler with an incredible drummer, Mike "Puffy" Bordin, Ozzy's drummer and member of Faith No More. Mike Bordin is probably a better drummer and he did an amazing job. The show was one of the most powerful concerts that I have ever seen. But without Bill Ward (or without Geezer Butler, or without Ozzy Osbourne for that matter) it ain't Black Sabbath. Bill was so mad - and hurt - that they toured without him. I'm glad they figured things out and Bill Ward was onboard for subsuquent tours. I also interviewed Bill for the Black Sabbath box set, The Black Box which I wrote the liner notes for. Bill actually called me - at my house! It was amazing. My wife picked up the phone, and it's Bill Ward! It's a bummer that the original Black Sabbath may never play together again due to lawsuits between Ozzy Osbourne and Tony Iommi. You can see how bummed Bill is in this Clash Music piece. I think maybe it's wize for Black Sabbath to stay retired - but it would be sad if this is the way things ended.

No comments: