Tuesday, March 10, 2009

TOMORROW ON OUTQ: CHRIS CORNELL, KELLY CLARKSON

Tomorrow on OutQ, I'll be discussing the already-much-discussed new album by Chris Cornell, Scream. The album has been delayed a few times, but it finally came out today. It was produced by hip-hop/pop producer Timbaland, much to the chagrin of many of Chris' fans. I think it was a brave move by Chris. I don't think all of it works -- I particularly don't love the first song "Part Of Me" with the lyrics "that bitch ain't a part of me." But some of the songs are fantastic, they'd be fantastic played by a rock band, and Timbaland did a fantastic job producing them. I know he's been playing live shows - I wonder how these songs sound played by a rock band. I don't know if I'd want to go to see him just do new songs though.

Before people start blasting me: I saw Chris with Soundgarden in 1988 or 1989 at The Ritz opening for Voivod. I've been on board for a long time. I think he should be allowed to try something different, and I think that this album isn't as successful a reinvention as, say, U2's Achtung Baby, it's still a very good album. I think he needed to do something different this time around, and he also needs a collaborator. I don't think he's ever going to be in a band again, so he needs to work with a co-writer or producer who is won't be intimidated by him, and Timbaland fit the bill. I give the album a B.

As for Kelly Clarkson, I don't hate on her. I'm not the biggest American Idol watcher, but I got to interview her a few times a few years back, and I respect her. I like some of her new songs.

No comments: