Saturday, March 28, 2009

ELVIS COSTELLO'S SECRET, PROFANE & SUGARCANE

Not even a year after putting out Momofuku, Elvis Costello is releasing his next album, Secret, Profane & Sugarcane, produced by T-Bone Burnett. It's a mostly acoustic album (T-Bone plays some electric guitar, the rest of the instruments are "unamplified").  

As I've mentioned before, I'm not an Elvis die-hard, and I think that makes me more receptive to his music. Of course he made some awesome music in the '70s and '80s, but for my money, he's done some of his best stuff in the '90s and '00s. For instance, I love "13 Steps Lead Down" and especially "Sulky Girl" from 1994's Brutal Youth; I like a lot of 2002's When I Was Cruel, especially "45," a lot of 2004's The Delivery Man, especially "Monkey To Man" and I love his collaborative album with Allen Toussaint, 2006's The River In Reverse. And I've already mentioned Momofuku.  So I'll definitely be picking this album up - it comes out on Hear Music, which used to be affiliated with Starbucks, I don't know what their deal is now. 

No comments: