Thursday, May 15, 2008

DAVE GROHL CLEARS UP THE WHOLE "METALLICA" LETTER THING

OK, so even though I posted Dave Grohl's "Open Letter To Metallica," I kind of suspected that it might not have come from Dave. But it was so funny, I wanted it to be true. Anyway, he gave the real deal at the Foo Fighters' website.

"Hey Everybody, Just wanted to write a quick note to clear up this whole 'Open letter to Metallica' fiasco......For the record, I never 'wrote' anything to Metallica. I was asked by a journalist, at the end of a long interview (abut the Foo Fighters) to give a quick message to Metallica in the studio. So, I rattled that quote off the top of my head. No biggie, right? Somehow it became my 'open letter' to the band, and now it's been picked up by everyone from Blabbermouth to Rolling Stone (as if anyone really cares!). Now, it's true that I've been a loyal fan of this band for 25 years, and I can't wait to hear the new shit, but an 'open letter' to the band?!!?? Nah. Not my style. I'd rather just text 'em......
OK.......just needed to get that off my chest. Hope you guys are good. Thanks for coming out to the shows, they've been a blast. Only a few more before we crawl back into our cave and hibernate. It's gonna be a loooooong winter.......
Dave"

It's crazy to me that someone could spend a lot of time with a cool dude like Dave for a legit interview, and then do him like that: taking stuff that he said in an interview and posting it on the web as an "open letter." Lame.

However, what probably is accurate is the band's tour rider, which has just shown up on the website Smoking Gun. Not a site that I frequent often, but the rider is so funny, referring to Dave as "The Guy From Nirvana" and demanding stuff like unopened cereal boxes "and not the Lucky Charms that Ronnie James Dio plowed through the night before." Really funny stuff .

No comments: