Thursday, April 17, 2008

SHIRLEY MANSON REALIZES THAT A MAJOR LABEL DEAL MIGHT NOT HAVE BEEN A GREAT IDEA AFTER ALL

Garbage was one of the most unique bands of the '90s, and one of the reasons for that was their stellar frontwoman Shirley Manson. Unfortunately for her, she is stuck in the major label system for her solo album, and her label doesn't know what to do with her. As she wrote on her blog:

"I played some of the stuff to the record label not long ago and they described it as being very noir. At the time, I took the comment as being a huge compliment. That they liked the intensity of my material. But then I realized it wasn't intended as a compliment. But I'm 41, I'm a woman not a kid. I have no interest in making silly pop music and I don't want to wear a silly sexy outfit and sell myself short. I'm sure it will all get sorted out in the end. But I do think record companies, in general, have different ideas about how they promote women. In the end, it is down to each and every woman to fight to be treated as an individual. I just want to be who I am."

She's right about the "women" thing, but I also think it's the "I'm 41" thing. Labels don't know how to work with artists that don't appeal to teenagers or 20-somethings. When someone figures out how to do it - Starbucks has done a good job for sure - someone will make lots of money from it. There's got to be a decent amount of people out there interested in hearing Ms. Manson's new music, I know I am. I wonder if Garbage is still together. I didn't love their last album, but "Bad Boyfriend" was a classic.

No comments: