Thursday, February 21, 2008

SHERYL CROW - GOOD IS GOOD

I've always been a bit mystified over people who hate on Sheryl Crow. Good singer, good writer, plays a bunch of instruments, does cool covers, is a good collaborator, supports great causes, what's not to like? 

I bought her debut, Tuesday Night Music Club, pretty much as soon as it came out. I saw it at Tower, recognized her name somehow (probably because she was a backing singer at the Bob Dylan tribute concert in 1992 and her name was in the liner notes of the live album), and they had those listening kiosks, so I checked it out and liked it. Yes, "All I Want To Do" was overplayed and I don't ever need to hear it again. But I think Sheryl Crow wouldn't mind putting that one to rest, but she knows that many fans still love that song. 

I've enjoyed lots of songs on all of her records, especially Sheryl Crow and The Globe Sessions. Actually, I didn't like her last album.  I think part of her problem is that she hangs with the legends: the Stones, Clapton, Stevie Nicks and so forth. So, probably inevitably, she's going to be compared to them, and that's tough to deal with.  

But I like her new album, Detours, although some songs don't work for me. "Gasoline," which features Ben Harper on backing vocals, though, is great. 

No comments: