Wednesday, February 13, 2008

THE POLICE'S VICTORY LAP

Like everyone else, I was totally stoked when I heard that The Police were getting back together. They were one of my first favorite bands. They had lots of hit singles, but they were cool. They were rock and roll, but they were different. And they didn't have an intimidating catalog. Where The Rolling Stones, The Who, The Kinks, The Beatles, et al, had these humongous catalogs with tons of compilations, I got into The Police during the Ghost In The Machine era - and that was thier fourth album.

I got to see them last summer at Giants Stadium, and I had to be honest with myself and admit it fell a bit flat. Maybe it was the anticipation. Maybe it was the lame crowd. But it was also that they were stretching out every song - they did it just a bit too much. "Roxanne" is perfect at 3 minutes. That said, "Driven To Tears" was devastatingly awesome.

And that said, I just heard that they're going to be doing some "final" dates this year. I will definitely try to get tickets for this show. I wonder, will people be as excited to see Sting solo gigs any more, now that they've had the chance to see The Police?

Personally, I hope that Stewart Copeland will get back with Oysterhead - the band he had with Les Claypool of Primus and Trey Anastasio of Phish.

No comments: