Thursday, February 28, 2008

MIKE SMITH OF THE DAVE CLARK 5: 1942 - 2008

I don't really know too much about The Dave Clark Five, but I do know that Little Steven Van Zandt considers them one of the most important bands of the British Invasion. Here is an interview where he talks about their importance.

They're being inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in about two weeks. So, it's really sad that singer Mike Smith passed away last night. I don't know much about the band's history, and they aren't a band that has really preserved their legacy. It's hard to imagine them even being inducted without Little Steven's campaigning.

This might sound a bit geeky, but every year when the Hall of Fame inductees are announced, I make a iPod mix of songs by the inductees. If there's an artist who I don't have music from, I buy some, just to check them out. With the DC5, it turns out, you can't do that. Their albums are all out of print, and I don't think that the few songs available on iTunes is their classic material. So, hopefully, Little Steven or someone can somehow arrange for the band's music to be reissued so people (myself included) can see what the fuss is about.

No comments: