Monday, February 4, 2008

MARVIN GAYE BIOPIC IN THE WORKS

I'd heard rumors of a Marvin Gaye biopic, but I guess it's in production. I read that Jesse Martin of Law & Order is playing Marvin, and James Gandolfini from The Sopranos has a support role.

When I was younger, the only song I knew by Marvin was "Sexual Healing." But about ten years ago, I picked up his box set, and was completely blown away, not just by his singing and songwriting, but by his artistic progression, which is akin to Stevie Wonder's. Both guys started out very much a part of the Motown system (nothing wrong with that, as it cranked out some of the greatest music of all time). But at some point, both artists outgrew it, and created their own music, on their own... with amazing, timeless results. It reminds me of The Beatles in some regards.

Anyway, Marvin has a fascinating, tragic story, so I look forward to seeing how they bring it to the screen.

No comments: