Monday, December 3, 2007

TOM PETTY TO ROCK THE SUPERBOWL

I was kind of surprised to find out that Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers have been named as the halftime performers at this year's Superbowl. I had my money on Bruce Springsteen or The Eagles. I guess Bruce's politics might have knocked him out of the running - or maybe he just didn't want to do a big corporate sponsored event. Most of his new songs are probably offensive to the football audience (as they criticize the government, how bad radio is, corporations, war, etc.). I imagine The Eagles' politics, and the songs on their new album (which I haven't heard) might create the same problems.

Still, it's such a corporate event, and Tom (to my knowledge) doesn't have a new album to promote. But whatever, I'll tune in, and good for Tom for getting such a large forum for his music. As much of a joke as the Superbowl halftime shows have historically been, there's been a few good ones. U2 was transcendent. I thought Paul McCartney and The Rolling Stones were both great. Prince blew the roof off last year. I'm curious what songs Tom will play (I'm guessing "American Girl" will be one) - whatever he does, it will be great. He comes with less hype than the other artists that I've mentioned, but he's just as great. Hopefully he'll play "Money Becomes King."

No comments: