Tuesday, November 6, 2007

ANOTHER POST ABOUT THE WHITE STRIPES

I was having a conversation with a friend about my favorite albums of the year, and I mentioned releases by Bruce Springsteen, Steve Earle, Robert Plant & Alison Krauss and John Fogerty, and he pointed out that I'm a fan of "septuagenarians." True, but it isn't like I only listen to older artists (and of course, Ms. Krauss isn't even 40 yet).
But one of my favorite groups from the past decade or so is The White Stripes. As I mentioned in a prior (brief) posting, I think highly of them. I saw them in concert this summer at Madison Square Garden, and I wasn't blown away (although I really liked them when I saw them at The Hammerstein Ballroom on their Elephant tour a few years back).
The Stripes went through some nonsense a few weeks back. If you're reading this, then you have access to the world wide web, and probably heard about it. Whatever. I'm glad that, even though they cancelled their tour, they have more music coming out. They announced on their web site that "The White Stripes have just filmed an exciting new video and recorded three never before heard original songs (with a special collaboration) and one unique new version of a song from their latest album Icky Thump. "
Icky Thump, by the way, is another one of my favorite albums of year.

No comments: